Monday, September 3, 2012

They don't always cooperate

I really believe that the best gifts are gifts that come from the heart and are hand made. They get the best responses and make you feel good that someone took time out of their lives to make something special and personalized for you.
 
This year for Father's Day I had a wonderful idea to make my husband a picture. The idea was to have all of the kids hold a letter that spelled out the word, "DADDY". Then I would put them all together and have this cute picture that had all of his kids in separate pictures, but also a whole picture together.
 
Cute idea right? That is why I LOVE pinterest! I am able to get LOTS of ideas for things!!! If you are not on pinterest, I highly recommend it!
 
Anyway, as with most things that I find on pinterest I use the idea I see and I make it my own. I like for my stuff to be personalized to my family life, not someone else's life.
 
Well, my husband loves pirates/pirate theme stuff. So, I decided that the obvious thing to do with this picture was to do it in a pirate theme. I had all of my kids dress up like pirates and hold the letter for the picture :) I KNEW that he would love it.
 
The day before Father's Day I was busy getting kids dressed all up to take pictures so I could finish my project. Everyone was doing so good and I was getting some awesome pictures! Then Carson had his turn........
 
 
Why did you give me this letter?

Here mom, you can have it back.

What am I supposed to do with it?

You can have it, I don't really want it.

No, seriously, I don't want it!

WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME DO THIS???

DOGGY!!!
Thank the good Lord above that the neighbors let their dogs out. This was the ONLY decent picture that I got out of him that day! So, this is the picture that ended up in the frame :)
 
The final product.
I was EXTREMELY happy with how it turned out! My husband loved it and has it hanging above his desk :)
 
 
I was honestly getting very frustrated that he would not take a good picture. I wanted for this gift to be perfect, and he didn't seem to care about what I wanted. It ended up being even better than I thought it was going to be because I was able to catch him being himself.
 
Sometimes, I have to stop and remind myself that they are kids and they don't always want to do what I want for them to do. Either because they don't understand what is going on or just because they don't feel like it. It is my job to stop and breathe and not loose my cool and start screaming to cooperate. That method doesn't usually work anyways..... If I need to stop and come back to it, then that is what I need to do. There are times that my kids are all about doing what I want them to do and there are times they want nothing to do with what I tell them. That is called parenting :) How I respond to the situation makes more of an impact in their little lives than what they are actually doing.
 
This blog is not meant to show you that we are a perfect family who always has it all together. That would be a lie. Remember, NO family is perfect! We fight, kids act up and life happens. This is one of those times that things didn't go according to plan, but it all worked out in the end :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment