Thursday, February 7, 2013

Homemade yogurt

My husband LOVES yogurt!! He has bad acid reflux
in the mornings and it is one of the only things he can eat that
doesn't make him feel like crud!
 
I came across a recipe to make my own yogurt a couple of months ago and I asked my wonderful husband if he would mind being my guinea pig so I could make it. Of course he agreed, just like any wonderful husband should and I have been making it ever since :)
 
I do believe I have even converted a few of my friends into making their own yogurt as well!!
 
And why not?? It is so easy and a heck of a lot cheaper than buying it at the store!! I need to cut my costs anywhere I can :)
 
Here ya go!!! My homemade yogurt recipe :)
 
 What you will need-

1/2 gallon of whole milk
3/4 cup dried milk
1 cup plain yogurt with live cultures - read the package and make sure it says live cultures.

Directions-

Pour your milk into the crock-pot.

 
Put the lid on and cook it on high until it reaches a temp of 180 degrees.
*If you do not have a thermometer, it takes about 2 hours.
 
After it reaches 180 degrees, take the top off and let it cool back down to 110 degrees.
*About 30 min. You should be able to stick your finger in it and leave it there and it not burn you, but it still needs to be hot. If it is too hot it will kill the live cultures when you add in the 1 cup of plain yogurt.
 

 
After it cools to 110 add 3/4 c of dry milk and
1 cup of plain yogurt.
 
*The dry milk helps to thicken it, 3/4 c makes it a thicker consistency that my husband likes. The original recipe that I found said to use 1/2 cup, so you will just have to try it until you get the consistency that is right for you :) Remember, when you add fruit to the yogurt it is going to water it down some, so you don't want it real watery before you add fruit or else it will be yogurt water.
 
*You need the plain yogurt to get the live cultures. Once you make this you can just reserve one cup of your own yogurt and freeze it until the next time you make it and you wont need to buy it again for your next batch.  


After you mix everything together you will wrap it up in a towel (I use 2) and place it in your oven. *Cool oven
This helps your yogurt cool slowly and is how it thickens and becomes yogurt.



I always make this at night and let it set over night. If you do it in the morning then leave it in there for 10-12 hrs.



Add your favorite fruit and or granola and......
 

 
yummy yogurt!! 
 

 
*** If you do not like plain yogurt you probably won't like this. If you have never had plain yogurt it is tart compared to national brand fruit yogurt. It doesn't have any added sugar to make it sweet. It is just yogurt and the sweetness of what ever fruit you put in it.
 
Michael's list of favorite flavors-
 
Peaches (Fresh or from a can)
Crushed canned pineapple
Canned pears
Fresh blueberries
Kiwi
Strawberry & Banana
 
*Michael does not like it with plain strawberries. He said that the tartness of the yogurt and the natural tart from strawberries is overpowering.
He said the same thing about raspberries.
 

ENJOY :)
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment