Thursday, December 6, 2012

Elf on the Shelf

I had a dear friend of mine tell me the other day that she was surprised to see that our family is doing Elf on the Shelf. She didn't see us as Elf on the shelf people.
 
I guess she is right. We don't do anything in this house that has to do with Santa, so why would we do Elf on the Shelf?!?!?
 
*For any of you who might not know what Elf on the Shelf is let me explain it to you. There is a story book that comes along with the Elf and it explains that the Elf is magical. You name him/her and they become part of your family. Then every night he/she flies back to the North Pole to report back to Santa and tell him if you are being naughty or nice. Then he/she flies back and reappears in a new location the next morning to watch over everyone again.
 
Again, the question still stands...... Why, would we do Elf on the Shelf when we don't believe in Santa??
 
Well, about a month ago I was on Pinterest and I saw a pin about a lady who was incorporating Jesus into her Elf on the Shelf. This drew my attention and I clicked on it and read her blog. I really liked her reasoning behind it. Basically, the Elf gets into mischief at night and "sins" and it is our job to show grace and forgiveness to the Elf just as Jesus forgives us daily.
 
Now, this I can work with. I figured that the kids would have a lot of fun with this and I can use it to continue to teach them their life lessons on grace and forgiveness :) Win-Win scenario.
 
So far the kids are having a lot of fun with it. They wake up in the morning and the first thing that they do is find our elf Joy :) Even when she makes a mess they still have fun with it :)
 
She helped decorate
 
She pulled out some of the movies to find one that she liked.
 
She found Michael's cookies and egg nog.
 
She is definitely not a present wrapping elf.....

Well, at least she know how to spell her name.

Hungry???

She caught our flu!!

She found the candy stash!
 
We are having fun with it and just because I am doing it doesn't mean we are going to start believing in Santa :)
 
Here is a link to the blog that I read about on Pinterest.
 
 
 
 

 * I am now an Amazon affiliate- Which means if you buy something from one of my links I will get a small portion of your purchase.


1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete